Monday, April 9, 2012

Malta

For my birthday, Luca gifted me a trip to Malta. I had actually wanted to go to Malta for a few years now and really wanted to go the last time I was studying abroad in Italy, but never had the chance. So it was quite serendipitous! I had just started teaching in a private language school and didn't have my hours yet. Luca kept telling me to keep Thursday and Friday free and I didn't understand why I would need to keep two whole days free... then he showed me the plane tickets early and I understood :) 

We stayed in Sliema, visited the island of Gozo, the Blue Lagoon and Comino, and the city of Valleta. Malta has quite a lot of character and the most interesting part is the mix of cultures. They speak Maltese which sounds like a mix of Italian and Arabic, they were ruled by the English for up until the 1970's so they all speak a form a of English with heavy southern Italian accents, and their cuisine has a strong English influence. 
We had a great time, and it was absolutely beautiful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers